The increase in cases of Coronavirus in the European Union is beginning to worry the population that sees the virus spreading out of control in the absence of a vaccine to eradicate it. Spain is not exempt. In recent days, the country’s media have not stopped reporting new cases that put the population on alert, urging them to remain cautious and go to hospital in case of possible symptoms such as cough, fever, sore throat and headache or difficulty in breathing. So what protection can we use? Are nitrile gloves suitable for coronavirus?
A preventive measure proposed by the World Health Organization (WHO) is the use of masks, but it is not the only one. Nitrile gloves are another effective protection measure against this infectious disease used by individuals and particularly indicated for the medical sector, since they reduce the risk of contagion by being in permanent contact with patients who could develop the disease.
What will you find in this article?
Every precaution is little, and in the face of possible contagion, prevention is better than cure. When deciding whether nitrile gloves are suitable for coronavirus, we must take into account that the hands are the part of the body that comes into most contact with the environment, so the use of nitrile gloves becomes an effective element in the event of infection.
The material with which they are made, based on nitrile, makes them resistant and impermeable, protecting the person from microorganisms. They are also highly sensitive to touch and may be worn for a long time.
On the other hand, the choice of the type of glove is important and will depend on the task to be performed and the characteristics of each person. There are many types of gloves, but if you suffer from allergies we recommend nitrile gloves, as they are hypoallergenic. At Monouso you can find them in different sizes and in blue and black to distinguish if there are any perforations.
Mandatory use for toilets and law enforcement
As we have already mentioned, the professions related to the health and security sector (police, security personnel in airport or border controls, etc.) must increase precautions due to their exposure to people who may be carriers of the virus.
In this regard, the Occupational Risk Prevention Unit of the Directorate General of the Police has drafted a document addressed to the State security forces with a series of rules to maintain safety in the performance of their work:
- Wash your hands regularly.
- Use disposable nitrile, vinyl or latex gloves and FPP2 mask.
- Disinfect surfaces exposed to contamination with bleach (1:50 dilution) by allowing it to work for five minutes.
- Avoid crowds and contact with less than two meters of people with a symptom picture compatible with the virus.
- Cover your mouth and nose with single-use tissues when coughing or sneezing.
Types of nitrile gloves
There are two types:
- Disposable and multipurpose. Used mainly by health professionals or companies in whose facilities food is handled. They are characterized by being thinner to the touch, hence they are identified as “high-sensitivity” gloves, but they do not offer less quality in terms of resistance.
- Gloves with textile support. Unlike the previous ones, they are not disposable and are usually used in professions such as the chemical industry where they need greater protection.
How to use the disposable gloves?
When using disposable gloves, you should consider
- It is imperative to wash your hands before and after using the gloves. If you have wounds, cover them with waterproof dressings before putting them on.
- It is not advisable to wear jewellery on your hands (rings, watches, bracelets) and your fingernails of considerable length to avoid possible breaks in your gloves.
- If the gloves are broken, damaged or come into contact with infected objects or people, you will have to change your gloves.
As you can see, with a few simple gestures you will be protecting not only your hands, but also the rest of your body since the skin will not absorb the harmful substances that can derive from a virus of this type.