Digital tipping… a fruit of the pandemic. During that time, one of the Spanish government’s recommendations was to give a major boost to card payments . The downside of this measure is that traditional tipping has been greatly reduced .
Countries such as the United States currently maintain the obligation to provide a tip after having enjoyed any type of service in a business dedicated to the hospitality industry.
Meanwhile, in Spain, this practice remains voluntary and tends to be more common when making cash payments.
With the introduction of card payments, we have seen the birth of a new concept, known as digital tipping. Although it has not yet become established, it is expected to gain better acceptance soon, especially from the year 2023, when its use will begin to spread more and more, from the point of view of experts in the field.
¿Qué encontrarás en este artículo?
What is digital tipping?
The digital tipping consists of the realization of a thanks of economic character on the part of the benefited user for consuming a certain service coming from some sector of the restoration, but unlike the traditional one, it is carried out by means of the use of a virtual purse or card.
To promote the use of this initiative, different applications have begun to be used, such as Tipper.
Tipper is a tool designed to facilitate digital money transitions between consumers and businesses . It is really very useful for businesses in the hospitality sector. In order to use it, a series of very simple steps must be followed:
- The entrepreneur must download the application and create an account.
- After filling in the necessary data , a QR code will be generated.
- This QR code can be used as a photograph, sent by email, inserted in the business cards of the business or printed and placed in an easily visible place in the establishment.
- Consumers will be able to scan the QR code and leave a tip digitally, along with a message if they wish.
- The business owner will receive a notification in the app confirming that the consumer’ s entry has arrived.
What are its advantages and features?
For the hospitality sector, the use of this concept implies a great advantage, putting an end to the problem of the customer having just enough money or no cash.
Despite the fact that with this initiative there is more probability of receiving some extra cash, we can also use tools that encourage its use, for example:
- Incorporate a forum where different topics related to our businesscan be discussed among customers. For example: discuss those dishes that they would like to be available on the menu.
- Take care of the use of social networks by creating advertising campaigns to generate more consumers. For example: promote the different events we have in the business.
- Control and manage the different comments made about the business on the different review platforms.
Learn much more about other related terms in our Hospitality and Catering Dictionary.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is digital tipping?
Digital tipping consists of the payment of an economic thank you by the beneficiary user for consuming a certain service from a particular restaurant sector, but unlike traditional tipping, it is carried out through the use of a virtual wallet or card.
What are the advantages of digital tipping?
Among others, modernisation of the business, promotion of the tip and improvement of the notoriety of the establishment. In short, it is a different way of making an impact on the public, attracting their attention and reinforcing the connection.