Are you one of those who have always been attracted to sushi but the idea of fish does not please you? In this post you will find how to make vegetarian sushi with delicious and nutritious recipes that you can easily prepare at home. These are economical, low in calories for preserving your figure in a healthy way and are able to satisfy the palate of the most demanding guests.
Invite your friends to a spectacular dinner where you will present a variety of colorful sushi rolls, accompanied by a delicious salad. You’ll really surprise them, especially if they know you’re vegetarian and your rolls are free of fish, seafood and gluten.
Learn how to combine rice, nori seaweed and vegetables in a delicious, economical and attractive presentation as the best Asian culinary style. Join us in this post and learn how to make vegetarian sushi at home with easy recipes suitable for vegans, vegetarians and coeliacs.
¿Qué encontrarás en este artículo?
What implements do you need?
The utensils you need to make a good sushi are easy to acquire, although some of them you already have at home.
- Wooden bowl: The Hangiri, “handai” or “sushi-oke” allows the rice to be placed after cooking. At home you can use a flat cooking bowl.
- Bamboo Shoulder or Shamoji: Allows you to move the rice you have placed in the hangiri, and you can use a traditional wooden spoon.
- Kitchen Cloth or Fukin: Prevents the rice you have placed in the hangiri from losing moisture as it cools.
- Bamboo or Makisu mat: This implement made with bamboo and cotton or silicone is essential to roll sushi. At home you can use a kitchen towel that is covered with polifilm to easily peel off the rolls.
- Knives: You need a Japanese hocho or knife to cut sushi. At home you can use a very well sharpened kitchen knife that provides impeccable cuts.
- Bamboo Steamers: It allows to cook vegetables in a healthy way since it preserves vitamins and minerals maintaining the flavor and color in food.
What are the basic ingredients for good vegetarian sushi?
Here is a list of the ingredients required to create these Japanese specialties.
- Sushi rice: We recommend using mainly Japanese varieties. They conserve humidity and compact more easily when we are making the roll.
- Rice vinegar: The fermentation of rice produces a sweet vinegar and less acid that does not mask the other flavors that are incorporated in the preparation of sushi.
- Soy sauces: It is the ideal accompaniment to taste sushi which results from the fermentation of soy. You can try Tamari or dare with Shoyu, which have stronger flavors.
- Wasabi: It is an attractive green cream prepared with a horseradish family of turnip and mustard with a very penetrating aroma. Although it should be consumed with caution because of its strong taste, it has antibacterial and immunological properties as well as providing a unique taste.
- Ginger Pickling: These are finely priced fresh ginger sprouts prepared over sweet vinegar. For its refreshing and slightly spicy flavor should be consumed between snack and sushi snack to clean the palate.
- Fresh fruits and vegetables: Use carrots, mushrooms, avocado, cucumbers and cabbages. Bonded with fruits such as mangoes, strawberries, bananas, kiwis and blackberries that bring flavor and color.
Preparing rice for sushi: Sumeshi
To get a good roll, you must treat the rice delicately by carrying out a procedure like this:
- Wash the rice until as much starch as possible is removed. Then place it in a pot considering amounts of water and rice equally.
- Cook over medium heat until it boils and after a couple of minutes, lower the flame and cover until complete cooking. Take it off the heat and let it rest for 15 minutes.
- Prepare a dressing at a ratio of 5 parts rice vinegar, 2 parts sugar and 1 part salt. Keep in mind that this represents one-fifth of the amount of raw rice you initially prepared. Make sure the rice is not hot before applying the vinegar.
- Add to rice and place in wooden bowl. Move it gently with the paddle, fan and cover with the cloth.
Since you’ve prepared a brilliant Sumeshi, it’s time to make your vegetarian sushi. To do this, simply extend the mat and place sheets of nori seaweed up to a couple of centimeters from the edges.
Place the rice with wet hands and spread it over the seaweed creating a layer of 1cm to present the selected filling. Dare to try thin slices of avocado, mushrooms and cream cheese or with lettuce, carrot, cucumber and morron. Create different and fresh combinations using strawberries, bananas and kiwis that you can accompany with raspberry sauce.
Carefully take one end of the mat and start rolling it tightly so that it compacts the rice while you tuck in the filling. When the roll is sufficiently pressed, remove the mat and with the wet knife begins to cut discs of 1cm.
A good presentation is essential
Place your vegetarian sandwiches on plates or sushi trays delicately arranged one on top of the other to show off their exquisite filling. Bathe them with sesame or red pepper powder and accompany them with ginger pickling, wasabi and soy sauce. The touch that will make your saucer look like a Japanese expert, are a pair of chopsticks.
In Monouso we have a sushi shop where we offer you an extensive and elegant variety of dishes and trays that will make your meetings unforgettable. In addition, if you want to give away your dishes or boost an enterprise, you can use magnificent crates of bamboo or cardboard and plastic containers.
Our catalogue of plates offers you sizes ranging from 11x11cm to 24x24cm and trays from 31x14cm to 30×15,8 cm. Our products are elaborated in resistant plastic with fine finishing to provide delight and elegance at the moment of tasting. Take advantage of the special offers we have permanently.