Aluminium foil or transparent film are two fundamental allies that cannot be missing in any kitchen, professional or home. If you are here, it is because you know the reason, but you want more information.
When we prepare a sandwich, we must put a tray in the oven or we want to keep some leftovers from dinner, we doubt about which will be the best option to wrap and preserve the food.
From this doubt, two possibilities arise that we usually have available in our kitchen: aluminum foil or transparent film.
There are various uses for aluminium foil in the kitchen and although the transparent film is also used for food packaging, each has particular characteristics.
Here we will share the characteristics and main uses of aluminum foil or transparent film in the kitchen.
What will you find in this article?
This type of paper is not a malleable aluminum foil for various uses, including wrapping objects and food. There are other common uses, such as covering baking trays or refrigerated containers.
In general, this thin aluminium foil is less than 0.006 mm thick, which favours its flexibility. It has two easily distinguishable surfaces, one glossy and the other matt, which is the result of the manufacturing process.
Aluminium foil is an excellent conductor of heat, which is why it has a secure place in the kitchen, both for cooking and for storing food.
Uses of aluminium foil
Among the uses of aluminum foil in the kitchen we can mention
- Keep the food in the fridge.
- Cook meat, chicken and vegetables avoiding direct fire from the grill.
- Cook fish, chicken and turkey in the oven, ensuring that the inside is well cooked and preventing the outside from burning.
- Avoid cross-contamination with other foods or ingredients
- It prevents the passage of the smell of the food it keeps, creating a special barrier that will keep its characteristics protected.
- Avoiding food contact with light, if necessary for some preparation.
- To reheat food in the oven to avoid burning or drying out.
- Keeps bread and cookies fresh, as if they had just come out of the oven.
- As a knife or scissors sharpener.
Characteristics of aluminium foil
- Easy access material.
- Flexible and mouldable.
- It prevents light and moisture from entering the food.
Disadvantages of using aluminium foil
Among the disadvantages of using aluminum foil we have:
- It has a negative impact on the environment.
- It cannot be used to heat food using the microwave because it is a metallic material.
- It is not recommended to preserve acidic, salty or frozen foods.
Paper, film, or cling film
Paper film or transparent film is a plastic cover used to keep food fresh for longer by sealing it with this material.
In general, food grade foil is the most commonly used wrapping material in the kitchen due to its benefits, as it guarantees the conservation of the food and allows you to see its condition at all times.
Uses of paper, film or transparent film
Some of the uses of paper film or transparent film are
- Separate portions of food such as meat, chicken, pork, sausages, among others, to keep them and prevent burns caused by the cold of the freezer.
- Wrapping food that due to its shape cannot be preserved using aluminium foil.
- Preserve fruits, vegetables and sausages, such as ham, cheese and sausages.
- The transparent film is used to steam food.
- When checking its resistance in the packaging it is used in the microwave to avoid dryness in the food.
- Seal containers with food to protect them from moisture or dust.
- It can be used to make a piping bag.
Characteristics of foil or cling film
- More economical.
- It adapts to any surface.
- It avoids the passage of air towards the food.
- Able to preserve the humidity of the food.
Why not use foil?
The most important disadvantages of using transparent film are
- It is not recommended for wrapping food exposed to light.
- It cannot be used on hot food, for cooking in ovens, pans or at high temperatures.
- Its flexibility makes it difficult to use, since when the transparent film is removed from the roll it usually loses its shape.