Among the most consumed drinks in the on-trade, there is one that stands out above the rest. It is the favourite of Spaniards, but it is also one of the most popular in different parts of the world. Its consumption is on the rise.
Imagine hot and not so hot evenings. A full table of friends and lots of laughter to end the day. What drink will you order? Ice cold. Can you imagine?
Of course, without a doubt, beer is the preferred drink. With tapas and even to take away, beer is the beer of choice for young people to pass the time. They drink in moderation and always with a meal.
In 2022, beer is predominantly consumed as part of a healthy, non-exaggerated form of entertainment. The different flavours that exist make it even more interesting. Beer is one of the most consumed beverages and you can’t miss it. It repeats what happened before in 2021.
¿Qué encontrarás en este artículo?
Top 5 most consumed drinks in recent months
Beer leads the ranking of the most consumed drinks. It is closely followed by others. The choice of the Spanish public depends on several factors. It is important to take them into account when stocking your business.
What are these factors that influence consumer choice? Some of them are:
- The time of day the drink is consumed.
- The type of outing or meeting they are going on.
- The age of the customers.
Keep these criteria in mind, but above all you need to know the characteristics of your consumer. You have to listen to them and take note of their preferences. They themselves will tell you what to stock up on, if you pay attention.
Top 5 most consumed drinks
Although there are currently various consumption trends, it is possible to make a list of the 5 most popular drinks. This choice will be determined by the characteristics of your customer. Here is the list of the 5 most consumed drinks:
- Beer: it tops this list because it is the most chosen drink among adults under 35 years of age. For them it is synonymous with fun and meeting friends. They enjoy its variety of flavours and prioritise moderate consumption. It is the ideal companion for having a good time without excesses and is consumed several times a week.
- Wine: is the next most popular drink. Its highest consumption is found among people of an average age of 55. It tends to accompany outings with a partner or formal dinners, but it can also be consumed several times during the week. It is most commonly consumed at night.
- Distilled spirits: this group includes vodka, gin, rum, tequila, among others. They are chosen by younger people and their consumption is associated with weekend party nights.
- Sparkling wines and champagne: these are the wines of choice for special occasions and their consumption is also highest among young people and at weekends.
- Vermouth: this aperitif is the last on the list, but it is no less important. The vermouth before lunch is more than a drink for Spaniards. It is a time to have this type of cocktail in good company.
There is a growing trend towards moderate consumption, both among young people and adults. Enjoying a good time, in good company and with a drink is the aim of most people nowadays.
Differences according to the age of the customer
The key factor that determines which drinks are the most popular is the age of the customers. This can be clearly seen in the list above. Beer is the most consumed by young adults, but also by other age groups.
Its leadership in the list makes it a must in all types of gastronomic establishments. Wine is preferred by people over 55 years of age.
Distilled alcoholic beverages are the favourite of young people between 18 and 25 years of age, who make weekends at night their main focus of enjoyment. They often start the party in bars and order these types of drinks.
The truth is that in order to satisfy your customers it is crucial that you get to know them and observe their characteristics. From there you will be able to decide which drinks are the most consumed in your business and you will have customers who will come back to choose you.